Solid patio covers are roofing systems for outdoor living areas, whether in Portland or the Tri-Cities. Patio cover designs vary; here at Rick’s, we install both solid roof designs, which seamlessly match surrounding roofing, as well as translucent covers, sometimes installed over existing pergolas. In other words, if you already have an outdoor structure in place, we can add a see-through patio cover right on top!
Especially in sunny places like the Tri-Cities, patio awning of the temporary variety won’t bring as much ROI as a permanent, solid patio cover. Real estate gurus praise patio covers as a smart home investment, since they basically add another usable room at a much more cost-effective price than you would pay for a full room addition or remodel. And when you get more than 200 sunny days a year, as in the Tri-Cities, patio cover solutions allow you to enjoy your outdoor living area nearly year-round.
Having a permanent patio cover in place means you won’t have to worry about your garden party being rained out, regardless of the time of year; your guests will have coverage even if a surprise storm strikes. Celebrate the arrival of autumn by throwing an outdoor party on your Tri-Cities patio. Awning or a solid patio cover will help protect your guests from the unpredictable weather of fall.
Here are some tips for throwing a fall garden party under your Tri-Cities patio cover:
Tidy Up the Party Zone
- Cut away dead branches, pull the most obvious leaves, mow the lawn and remove dead plants.
- Head to the nursery for deals on fall color, such as mums and coleus plants. A few freshly potted fall plants can liven up the dullest front porch.
- Sweep the patio and make sure your outdoor furniture is clean and inviting.
- A new layer of mulch will do wonders for any lackluster garden beds.
- Don’t forget about lighting – a string of seasonal lights will add a touch of magic to your Tri-Cities patio awning area.
Decorate with Fall’s Bounty
- Wow your guests by featuring food and decorations from your own garden.
- Pumpkins can be transformed into bowls (just clean out the inside and line with a clean cloth napkin); lanterns (aka jack-o-lanterns); and vases (place a small glass jar inside the gourd). If you’re not going for a Halloween feel, carve simple shapes or designs into all sides of the pumpkins, rather than spooky faces. Just imagine your whole walkway or covered patio lined with these cheerful gourds.
- Frame your front door with collections of natural fall color. For instance, you might arrange two tall vases with elegant branches of vibrant red maple leaves.
Prepare Simple, Satisfying Fare
- Fall is the perfect time for slow-cooker recipes. The day before the party, prepare a hearty chili or stew, and add freshly sliced crusty bread (or even bread bowls) on the day of the party.
- Football-themed parties can start under the covered patio and move indoors once the game starts. Be sure to have plenty of finger food snacks on hand.
- Think about how you can add seasonal flare to typical party accoutrements. For instance, use a wooden box lined with burlap as your ice chest. An ice-filled wheelbarrow can hold kegs or bottles, as well.
- Rather than formal outdoor dining, make things easy on yourself by serving food buffet-style. Be sure to add fresh flowers to your buffet table; flowers make any occasion feel special. Sunflowers are an excellent choice for fall parties.
Patio cover experts can help you find the best fit for your home. If you’re interested in adding a patio cover to your home, fill out our form for a free estimate.