An inviting cedar deck on a sunny day can quickly become the most alluring room of your house, but many homeowners don’t put a lot of time or effort into decorating the outdoors. Often, they buy a patio set, put out some tiki torches and call it done.
Don’t make the mistake of failing to tap into your deck’s full potential. Follow these five steps to make the deck your favorite room in the house:
1. Install bench seating. Whether you’re building a new deck or working with an existing one, adding built-in bench seating is a relatively simple and inexpensive project. Benches can help maximize space on your deck by providing ample seating while reducing chair clutter. Plus, you can decorate them with colorful hemp cushions.
2. Lay down a rug. Soften the space and add a splash of color with an outdoor rug. The key to effective decorating is to layer textures as well as colors, and a rug can provide a different texture for your deck.
3. Add art. Unusual planters or pots, garden sculptures or vintage outdoor item such as weather vanes can all make great art pieces for a deck. Keep it simple, but try to offer something interesting to look at from each seat on your deck.
4. Put out some plants. A few well-placed potted plants can help integrate your deck with the rest of your backyard. Decorate with plants as you would in any other room of your house, and don’t forget to add some colorful flowers.
5. Light it up. Accent lighting is a must for any outdoor living space. Solar-powered lights come in all sorts of designs these days, from small, unobtrusive lanterns to colorful light sculptures. Don’t forget to add some good, old-fashioned candles–just make sure the candle holders are deep enough to protect the flame from wind.
Don’t have a deck yet, or thinking about building a new one? Read up on the four essential steps to designing your dream deck.